Friday, March 13, 2009

To-Do's

For all of those unfamiliar with the gardening forecast for Upstate New York from the months of October-May-ish let me give you a little sniglet of info. - THERE ISN'T ONE.

So to keep me quiet and off the streets (and to pretend I am being productive whilst I procrastinate studying for my A&P exam...) I thought I would compile a bit of a list of my to-do's for this Spring.

Jessica's Let's-Get-This-Spring-Thing-Going To-Do List


~Repot these plants:



* Jade - Poor thing, really should only have 1-2 plants in each container.






* Columnea - Early Bird - This thing was barely a few strands when I bought it from Lyndon Lyon Greenhouses and now it has taken right off!





*Asparagus Fern - It kinda sorta took a dive off the back of the toilet. Yeah I placed the plant precariously on the back of it, and yeah I even thought to myself, "wow that's going to fall". Yes, yes, we all hope to have these moments of clarity...and then straight up ignore them.
Anyway, after I recovered the crushed plant from its tumble, I noticed a big ol' root poking out the bottom, so that is a good sign we need to go up a size. Sorry fern, you're gettin' a little rounder in the middle.


And finally, one of my favorite plants, also purchased at Lyndon Lyon:



* Begonia - Emerald Jewel - Such a neat plant. Very fragile though. As you can see it is headin' out of dodge without a road. Every time I place it down I have to angle it just right or else it topples over.

So repotting is a bit of a delicate situation. Any houseplant book you read will talk all about being sterile and bacteria and all those scary things that make you not want to touch your beautiful, but overgrown plant. Ah yes, but we must. And we will. Soon. Very soon. Happy Spring to all!

Jess

P.S. I actually started this post last week, but because I had that test, (as noted above) this week, it has taken me an ungodly amount of time to finish it. In case you were wondering, I killed that test. Got an A, in yo face digestive and respiratory system!

1 comment:

  1. A) Congrats on the test
    2) I'm starting to plan my little urban windowsill garden for the year, so start posting because I will be stalking for the best tips. I got a book about growing veggies in ridiculously small and inadequate spaces... we'll see how it goes.
    D) All those aprons on my blog were passed down from relatives. That toy soldier looking one is the best, the boy says it creeps him out so I rarely wear it. But I secretly love it.

    ReplyDelete