Sunday, December 20, 2009

Knit Sweater: Check

I previewed earlier my first attempt at knitting sweater. And I am happy to report back my success! The sweater turned out as perfect as could be, and Jessica looked absolutely adorable. But before I unveil our star-baby for this evening, I will first take you on a trip down the path of The Pale Gardener's brain to see how I managed to creatively see how the sweater would fit just right.

I had the whole cute little thing done but it was hard to imagine what it would look like on the little one and I wanted to make sure one size wasn't sticking out all weirdly or that one arm wasn't shorter than the other. So I thought about it and realized Walter, my stuffed turtle, would do just fine as a stand in model for Jessica.

Now Walter, don't be shy...

I was so happy! It fit Walter perfectly...and I was pretty sure he was about the same size as the human baby Jessica. Let's see...

Even if it only fits her for two weeks, it looks so awesome! This little girl was so fabulous in her new sweater. It was particular helpful when we went to San Francisco where it was a bit windy and chilly.

Overall, the sweater was not too terribly difficult. I knit the entire back and then the two front pieces. Then I bound them together at the shoulder and began the hood off the back piece. Then with some clever understanding of the instructions I knit the sleeves directly off the back piece and the front piece and tada! Lastly I knitted a really neat button and I crocheted a buttonhole and attached those to the sweater:


The button was quite simple, I just knit a 4" long and 1/2" wide strip and then tightened it back on itself and secured the back. I did a simple slip stitch? (I believe that's what it was, this was my very first time crotcheting and I'm still a bit shaky on terminology) for the buttonhole latch and then sewed it onto the sweater. Very simple, and easy to maneuver with a small, wiggly child.

So obviously it wasn't all bing-bang-boom here's your sweater. There were many frustrations, and removing of stitches. I think the hardest part was trying to decipher the pattern directions. Every book and every author writes patterns differently and many times, at least to me, it seems written in a totally foreign language. And because I am so new to knitting, I haven't quite pinned down the typical patterns so I find it difficult to visualize the finished product after reading the sometimes quite bizarre instructions. Fortunately for me, I had my knitting professional, (AKA Mom), at hand to show me exactly what the heck was going on. I learn better by watching someone do it, and not by reading the technique.

So here I am! Full fledge into the knitting world. I'm not too sure what my next project will be. The Boy's roommate knits a lot and she told me about a hat that does not involve knitting in the round. I know I will have to eventually learn how to do that scary task, but I'm one of those dip my feet into the pool-type people so I may try this first before diving into the deep end. Plus, it will give me a chance to work on neat patterns and ribbings.

Check out some more pictures from my trip to California. It has been frigid here in New York so take a look at these to warm up your bones.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, how cute! My mother tried to teach me to knit when I was a teenager but I was much too impatient. I wish I'd paid more attention at the time.

    That sweet little baby is adorable. She's lucky to have a wonderful aunt like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute cute.

    Also, I missed that you changed your tumblr address and have thusly been TOTALLY missing your posts there and was like, "shit is something wrong? why isn't she posting awesome stuff there anymore?" But, yes, now I've got it and I've added the new address to my tumblr reader and all is good in the world.

    Second also, you had posted some very fun news over on that there tumblr and I pestered you via email about said news and have received no response. Gimme the scoop. And, congratulations.

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My impatience gets the better of me quite often, so I'm with ya! To counter that, I tend to not fix mistakes and just move along, it gives the piece more character, I say! :)

    Chris, I did change my address! When I created it I didn't realize what would actually be listed as your URL so once I got me-self some Tumblr skillz I fixed that right up.

    Email?? to my albany.edu account? I never got that! Booo! Well hopefully my most recent post addresses what I think you're referring to. ;)

    ReplyDelete